MINUTES OF BORTH COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE
COMMUNITY HALL ON MONDAY 3 OCTOBER 2011 AT 19.00 HRS
Present: Chairperson: A J Morris
G B Jones
W J Williams
M J Willcox
In Attendance: County Cllr: R P Quant
Clerk: M C Walker
4 Members of the Public
159. Cllrs Carol Bainbridge and J M Lawrence.
PRESENTATION BY A REPRESENTATIVE OF RAY CEREDIGION
160. Ms Cathryn Morgan was welcomed to the meeting where she gave a brief update on the successful play sessions held in Borth. She followed with a slide show of various activities involving the children and asked whether the Council would look into taking over the play sessions at the end of December. The Chairman thanked Ms Morgan for attending the meeting.
PRESENTATION ON THE CEREDIGION COMMUNITY AND TOWN COUNCILS VILLAGE RENEWAL FUND
161. Ms Karen Marchant and Ms Maria Wilding attended the meeting to give a brief presentation to members on the scheme which is operated by Ceredigion County Council to help fund and improve the look of the community. Members agreed to consider the scheme further as applications can be made at any time up to June 2013.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
162. To remind Cllrs concerning of any matters of interest that may arise during the meeting.
163. It was resolved to confirm the Minutes of the Council meeting held on 5 September 2011 as being a true record.
164. Borth Sea Defences. Minute 113. Ongoing.
165. Flood Awareness Action Plan. Minute 114. Ongoing.
166. Extension of Playing Field Area. Minute 115. Ongoing.
167. Beach Signage. Minute 117. Ongoing.
168. Community Council Noticeboards. Minute 118. Ongoing.
169. National Grid. An invitation to attend a briefing to discuss the current status of the Mid Wales Connection Project to develop a connection for wind farms in Wales through Powys and Shropshire.
170. Ray Ceredigion. The completed expression of interest form has met the criteria and work can now commence on a project proposal. Details of a one day workshop on Wednesday 14th November at their Craft Centre. Cllr Moore agreed to attend the workshop.
171. Events on the Public Highway in Borth. Ceredigion County Council is gathering information on all events affecting the highway and in particular the direction or control of traffic on the highway.
172. One Voice Wales. Details of the motions which have been selected by the Conference Committee for debate in the AGM on 8th October 2011.
173. Land to the rear of Sea Breezes. A letter from Morris & Bates offering a payment of £50 on behalf of his client in consideration for the land concerned. The Chairman delayed consideration of this item until he had read all paperwork received to date relating to this matter.
174. Application for Dispensation. Cllr Bryn Jones was granted dispensation to speak but not vote in respect of matters relating to Borth United Football Club.
175. Borth Landfill and Civic Amenity Sites. A letter from Morris & Bates requesting confirmation that the terms proposed are agreeable and enquiring as to whether the Council wishes to complete both leases simultaneously. The Clerk was asked to send a response confirming that the Council had resolved to the terms proposed and that both leases should be completed simultaneously.
176. Urdd Gobaith Cymru. A request for financial assistance towards the 2012 Eisteddfod.
177. One Voice Wales. Copies of the latest edition of “The Voice”.
178. Mr Frank Hitchings. An e-mail from Mr Hitchings in response to whether Haven were aware of the dog ban on the beach which was highlighted at last months meeting. He says that the attitude of the company two years ago was a positive one and that they have a dog walk area for the public on their site.
179. Balance of Accounts at 13 September 2011
Community Acct (previously known as Treasurers Acct) 3,885.38
Business No Notice Acct 11,028.99
Deposit Account 2,482.14
Business No Notice Account – Gross Int to 1 Sept 2011 1.59
181. Expenditure. It was resolved to pay the following accounts:
BDO LLP – audit fee 2010/11 198.00
Post Office Ltd – inland revenue (clerk income tax) 217.20
Builder Centre – grit bins and salt 180.00
Royal British Legion – poppy wreaths 51.00
M Walker – clks salary 488.00, off exp 9.50 497.50
182. Application for Full Planning Permission
A110318. REVISED PLANS. Erection of a building for surf training and equipment hire business. Land at Canteen Corner, Borth.
CO-OPTION OF MEMBERS ONTO COUNCIL
183. The Clerk read out two letters from Mr John James and Mrs Margaret Griffiths requesting their names be put forward for nomination to fill the two vacancies on Borth Community Council. As no other nominations had been received it was proposed and seconded to invite both to join the Council. Both Mr James and Mrs Griffiths read out their Declaration of Acceptance of Office and were given a copy of the Code of Conduct and the Council’s Standing Orders.
184. The Chairman gave a brief update on a recent Fisheries Local Action Group meeting which he attended. It was confirmed that a function in aid of BAM Nuttall workers would be held on the 25th November in the Community Hall. The arrangements will be finalised by Cllr Morris and Cllr Willcox.
185. Cllr Lewis asked that the Environment Agency carry out the cleaning of the leat in Glanwern. Cllr Quant to follow up. Cllr Bryn Jones gave an update on the progress to date on the Borth sculpture idea. He also mentioned the fact that in a recent survey Borth was voted in 18th position as the best place in Wales to raise children. Cllr Jones asked the Clerk to write to the leader and the Chief Executive of Ceredigion County Council to ask what plans they may have in light of this survey to promote the village of Borth. Cllr Jo Jones gave a brief update on the recent PACT meeting. Cllr Lewis was concerned that he witnessed an Arriva bus speeding through the village recently. Cllr Williams once again referred to the constant speeding on Clarach Road and a recent incident with motorists and a cow on that stretch of road. It was agreed that Cllr Morris and Cllr Bryn Jones write a letter to Dyfed Powys Police Authority with their concerns. Cllr Willcox suggested the Council deal with traffic road orders, traffic calming and speeding as one item in a future meeting.
COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
186. Cllr Quant gave a brief update on the Civil Parking Enforcement which is due to be implemented in June 2012. The one hour parking on Borth high street will be reviewed at a later date. Work will commence shortly on the pavement past the Tourist Information Centre in a northerly direction. Cllr Quant said that BAM Nuttall is prepared to give two of their information boards to the Council once work is completed on the coastal defence scheme. The British Legion Remembrance Festival is due to take place on Sunday 6th November followed by a Remembrance Day Service on the 13th November.
NEXT MEETING AND MATTERS FOR AGENDA
187. There being no further business the Chairman closed the public meeting at 21.10hrs. Agenda items for the next meeting to be held on 7 November 2011 to include an update from Ray Jones on the Coastal Defence Scheme and Ceredigion Community and Town Councils Village Renewal Fund. Any other items are to be notified to the Clerk.