Minutes - May 2014 AGM
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE BORTH COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD AT THE MEMORIAL HALL ON MONDAY 12 MAY 2014 AT 18.30 HRS
Present: Chairperson: C Bainbridge (chaired the meeting until the election of the new chairperson)
G B Jones
M J Willcox
In Attendance: County Cllr: R P Quant
Clerk: M C Walker
5 Members of the Public
1. Cllr M Griffiths and Cllr W J Williams.
ELECTION OF A CHAIRPERSON
2. Cllr Lorraine Moore was elected as Chairperson for 2014/15. All members present voted in favour.
DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE
3. Cllr Moore made her declaration of acceptance of office and took the Chair.
ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRPERSON
4. Cllr Jill Hulse was voted as Vice Chairperson for 2014/15. All members present voted in favour.
MINUTES OF THE LAST ANNUAL MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING
5. Copies of the Minutes of the Annual Meeting held on 12 May 2013 were available. The minutes had been confirmed as being a true record at the 3rd June 2013 meeting, Minute 40.
CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT FOR 2013/14
6. I have been very proud of being the Chair of Borth Council this year. We suffered a horrific start to 2014, with floods, gales and electricity cuts. Members of Borth Council, the coastguard and the RNLI were in the process of formulating a flood awareness plan. This was brought into action during this frightening time. We managed to get through these events with tremendous help from the emergency services, volunteers and each other, which generated a great community spirit. Other community councils have been so impressed they are rolling out similar plans. Phase 1 of the sea defences endured the strongest storm in recent memory, with high tides and tidal surges. We now await the start of Stage 2 of the sea defences. However, we have also had reasons to celebrate – the fantastic celebrations held by Borth Railway Museum to celebrate 150 years of Borth Station and a wonderful Carnival Day. Some issues are still a problem. Dogs on the beach and dog fouling, the Community Council are very aware of this and are continually trying to find ways to alleviate the problem. However, it is mainly down to people to take responsibility for their dogs. Unfortunately we lost a Council member this year – Jackie Lawrence. She resigned after many years of service on the Council and will be sorely missed. Borth Community Council is here to serve the people of Borth. If you have, any problems or queries do not hesitate to contact Margaret Walker via email or speak to any Council member. Let me finish by saying thank you to the Council Members for supporting so much in the last year. I would also like to thank Margaret Walker the Council Clerk; she has been marvellous in helping me throughout the year, as has Ray Quant our County Councillor. Thank you all for your support.
INVITED QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
7. Mrs Brenda Davies referred to the broken coping stones opposite Pebbles etc and behind the shower block by the RNLI station. Cllr Ray Quant said that the works were ongoing but had been delayed due to works to Llangorwen Bridge following a recent accident. Mrs Davies asked who was responsible for removing the sandbags. Cllr Quant said that the responsibility lies with the person receiving the sandbags and that Ceredigion County Council is not responsible for removing them. It has been said at a previous meeting that if Mr Jason Hines is successful in leasing the old civic amenity site then he would be willing to allow the Council to store them there. Cllr James volunteered, with some assistance, to move the sandbags and take them to the compound in his trailer.
CHECK INVENTORY OF COUNCIL’S DEEDS
8. The Clerk stated the original Deeds are held by the Council’s solicitor and that she holds duplicate copies, which were available for Cllrs to check.
9. There being no further business the Chairperson closed the meeting at 18.50hrs.
- Hits: 4509