MINUTES OF BORTH COMMUNITY COUNCIL EXTRAORDINARY MEETING HELD IN THE COMMUNITY HALL ON MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 AT 19.00 HRS
Present:Chairperson: C Bainbridge
G B Jones
J M Lawrence
M J Willcox
W J Williams
In Attendance:Clerk: M C Walker
2 Members of the Public
105. Cllr J Hulse and County Cllr R P Quant.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
106. To remind Cllrs concerning of any matters of interest that may arise during the meeting.
107. BDO LLP. The audit for year ending 31 March 2013 has been completed with no matters arising. The Annual return was presented to Council now that the audit opinion has been given. Council resolved to approve and accept the return.
108. Coastal Defence Scheme (Phase 2). A request for comments on the proposed Phase 2 of the coastal defence scheme. This was discussed in detail following a discussion on the planning application. It was proposed and seconded that the Clerk writes to Rhodri Llwyd to stress that whilst Borth Community Council is fully supportive of Phase 2 we do have serious reservations given the issues raised following completion of Phase 1 and request a site meeting with the relevant parties to discuss our concerns.
109. Cambrian Line Rail Services Review. A survey will be carried out from Saturday 5th to Saturday 19th October on the services required to support users of the main Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth rail line. The committee are looking for a drop in centre in Borth for one day only and are open to suggestions. It was suggested that Borth Station Museum might be an appropriate place to use as a drop in centre. Cllr Ashley volunteered to liaise with George Romary for a suitable date.
110. Expenditure. It was resolved to pay the following accounts:
BDO LLP – audit of accounts 2012/13 372.00
111. Application for Planning Permission.
A130493. Erection of an extension to restaurant, beer cellar and roof terrace. (original and revised plans). Victoria Inn, Borth. NO OBJECTION.
A130529. Conversion of outbuilding to residential (part of dwelling and alterations to dwelling). Ty Gwyn, Ynyslas, Borth. NO OBJECTION. We commend the design which is a great improvement to the existing building.
A130533CD. Coastal Defence Scheme (Phase 2). Borth Beach, Borth. Whilst Borth Community Council is fully supportive of Phase 2 we do have serious reservations given the issues raised following completion of Phase 1. The following concerns and observations were raised at last night’s meeting:
The new 3 onshore breakwaters on the plans for Phase 2 should not be as far out as the first onshore breakwater in Phase 1.
Borth Community Council has concerns about scouring at the end of the works in Phase 1 in a northerly direction and at the location where Phase 2 begins. We are concerned over the potential loss of sand in areas in Phase 2.
The currents are much stronger for bathing as borne out by the disappearance of sand on the stretch of beach in Phase 1.
We have fears that the steep high ridge makes the beach in Phase 1 inaccessible. It is dangerous to access the sand in the area behind the properties due to the high ridge and we are concerned that this would happen in the area of Phase 2. Can we have a reassurance that this would not be the case?
The beach in the past has been one of the major attractions to Borth, however, we are becoming increasingly concerned about the effect on the tourism industry with regard to the accessibility as an amenity onto the beach.
Has permission been acquired for the green shaded area which is in private ownership?
If the groynes in Phase 2 are to be removed can we have an assurance that they will be used to replace or repair any broken groynes on the beach towards Ynyslas.
We have concerns over sinking sand on the seaward side of Breakwater 2 in the Phase 1 and could this be replicated in all breakwaters in the area of works in Phase 2?
112. Planning permission Granted.
A130429. Extension to dwelling. Sunnydene, Heol Aberwennol, Borth.
NEXT MEETING AND MATTERS FOR AGENDA
113. There being no further business the Chairman closed the public meeting at 8.10hrs. Agenda items for the next meeting to be held on 2 September 2013 to include World War I Centenary and Welsh Language Policy. Any other items are to be notified to the Clerk.